Thursday, April 3, 2008

My mother always said...

My mother always said that, to be happy in life, I should be independent, follow the rules and marry a man with straight teeth. That advice used to confuse me. People who are independent don't follow rules, do they? I can't remember her actually telling me which rules she had in mind as being important, so I am still shopping around. Sometimes I make my own rules....well, truthfully, a lot more often than sometimes.

I wonder if my mother had insight on who I would become?

When I recently told her I was going on a guided tour in Europe, she asked "Won't that challenge your independence?" Then she immediately wanted to know if I would have trouble obeying the rules.

Taking a guided tour challenges nearly all my mother's advice. Then again, perhaps it will give me an opportunity to heed it. I guess only time (and this blog) will tell.

About marrying a man with straight teeth? Well, it hasn’t exactly made me happy, but it hasn’t hurt either.

No comments: